REMOVE THOSE OLD-STAINS OF SINS WITH SALAATUT TASBEEH
THE VIRTUES OF SALAATUT TASBEEH
Salaatut Tasbeeh is a very important form of salaah, as is evident from several ahaadith, wherein Rasulullah ( enjoined it as a matter of great kindness and favour and stressed on its importance. As such, the Ulamaa, Jurists, Muhadditheen, and Sufis throughout the centuries have been particular in offering this Salaah. Sayyiduna Abdullah Ibn Abbaas ( has narrated that he was once informed by Rasulullah (, ”O Abbaas, Should I not present to you, should I not confer to you, should I not inform you of such an act, which if you practice, Allah ( will forgive all your sins, whether old or new, intentional or unintentional, minor or major, open or secret.(After describing the method of performing this salaah) Nabi ( stated, ”If possible, you should offer this salaah once everyday, and if you cannot perform it daily, then offer it on every Friday (weekly), or once a month, or once a year or at least once in your lifetime.” [Abu Daawud]
THE STATUS AND IMPORTANCE OF SALAATUT TASBEEH
Imaam Al-Haakim (R.A) who is an authority on hadith, has written, ”The authenticity of this hadeeth (of salaatut tasbeeh) is supported by the fact that, since the second generation after the Sahabah ( until our times, all the great teachers of religion have been offering this salaah with constancy and have been advising the people to do so, among them was Imaam Abdullah Ibn Mubaarak (R.A) [He was the teacher of the teachers of Imaam Bukhari (R.A)]” [Al Mustadrak Haakim – vol.1, pg.318] ; Imaam Al-Baihaqi (R.A) has stated that, even before Ibn Mubaarak (R.A), Imaam Abul Jauzaa (R.A), a Taabi’ee (one who had seen the Sahabah () and whose narrations are considered to be reliable, used to be very particular in offering this salaah daily. As soon as he heard the azaan for the Zuhr Salaah, he would go to the musjid and would complete this Salaah before the Zuhr Salaah. Imaam Abdul Aziz Ibn Abi Rawwaad (R.A) who was the teacher of Ibn Mubaarak (R.A) and who was a great devotee, saint and pious man, has stated, ”One who desires to attain Jannah should be constant in offering Salaatut Tasbeeh.” Allamah Taqi Ud-Deen Al-Subki (R.A) stated, “This salaah is very important, and one should not get misled if some people happen to deny its importance. The one, who ignores it even after learning about its reward, is negligent in religious matters, fails to act like virtuous people, and should not be considered as a reliable person.” It is stated in Mirqaat that Sayyiduna Abdullah Ibn Abbaas ( used to offer this Salaah every Friday. [Fadhaail A’amaal, Virtues of Zikr – Pg.244] This salaah is preferable to be performed on all those auspicious nights where extra ibaadat (worship) are encouraged e.g. The 15th Night of Shabaan, The nights of Ramadhaan etc.
THE METHOD OF PERFORMING SALAATUT TASBEEH
Imaam Abdullah Ibn Mubaarak (R.A) and many other ulama narrate the following method of offering this salaah. (This method is also reported from Rasulullah ( and is the preferred method of performing this salaah).
“After reciting thanaa and before reciting Surah Faatihah repeat these words (the third Kalimah) ‘Subhaanallaahi Walhamdulillaahi, Wa laa ilaaha illallaahu Wallaahu Akbar’
Then start with ‘a’oodhu’ and ‘Bismillaah’ and, after completing Surah Faatihah and another surah, these words (above mentioned) should be repeated ten times before the ruku, ten times during the ruku, ten times after standing up from the ruku, ten times in each sajdah and ten times while sitting between the two sajdahs. All four rakaats should be performed in this manner, thus completing seventy five times (tasbeehs) in each rakaat and 300 times (tasbeehs) in four rakaats.” [Sunan Tirmizi – vol.2, pg.348]
FYI: The meaning of:
‘Subhaanallaahi Walhamdulillaahi, Wa laa ilaaha illallaahu Wallaahu Akbar’
Glory Be to Allah & all praise be to Allah. There is none worthy of worship besides Allah. And Allah is the Greatest
TABLE OF PERFORMING SALAATUT TASBEEH ACCORDING TO THE METHOD OF IMAM ABDULLAH IBN MUBARAK (R.A)
– 15 BEFORE SURAH FAATIHA
– 10 TIMES BEFORE RUKU
– 10 TIMES DURING RUKU
– 10 TIMES WHILE STANDING – AFTER RISING FROM THE RUKU
– 10 TMES IN THE FIRST SAJDAH
– 10 TIMES SITTING POSTURE – BETWEEN BOTH SAJDAS
– 10 TIMES IN THE SECOND SAJDAH
Thus counting 75 times in each Rakaah,with 4 Rakaah equalling 300 times.
There are no particular surahs specified for this salaah. Any surah may be recited. However Sayyiduna Ibn Abbaas ( was once asked, ”Are there any particular surahs to be recited in this salaah? He replied, ‘At takaasur (S.102), Al Asr (S.103), Al Kaafiroon (S.109) and Al Ikhlaas (S.112).” Some Ulamaa have also stated, ”The most virtuous surahs (to be recited in this salaah) are Al Hadeed (S.57), Al Hashar (S.59), As Saff (S.61) and At Taghaabun (S.64).” [Raddul Muhtaar – vol.2, pg.461]
SOME IMPORTANT POINTS TO KEEP IN MIND
1. Counting should not be done verbally as this act nullifies the salaah. The best way is that the fingers should be kept in their position, but should be pressed one by one for counting. [Raddul Muhtaar – vol.2, pg.236; Fadhaail A’amaal, Virtues of Zikr – Pg.244]
2. This Salaah can be offered at any time of the day or night besides the three forbidden times. However, the more appropriate times, in order of preference, are: After midday, any time during the day, and any time during the night. [Fadhaail A’amaal, Virtues of Zikr – Pg.245]
3. According to some ahaadith, the third Kalimah should also be followed by ‘Laa hawla walaa quwwata illaa billaahil aliyyil adheem’ It is therefore better to recite it sometimes in addition to the third Kalimah.” [Ihyaa Ulummuddeen – vol.2, pg.267]
4. In the ruku, ‘subhaana rabbiyal adheem’ and in the sajdah, ‘subhaana rabbiyal a’alaa’ should be recited before reciting the third kalimah.” [At Tarsheeh, Libayaani Salaatit Tasbeeh – pg.22]
5. If one missed out all the tasbeehaat or some tasbeehaat in any posture, he should not make up for that deficiency in qaumah (after ruku in the standing posture) or in jalsah (after the first sajdah before the second sajdah).
PRACTICE AND CONVEY THIS GIFT GRANTED TO US BY RASULULLAH
CERTIFIED BY: Mufti Ebrahim Desai, Darul Ifta (Fatwa Department), Camperdown.
COMPILED BY: A student [2nd year aalim class] of Madrasah In’aamiyyah, Camperdown,
Special message by Mufti Desai: Please forward this to many people as possible. If you want to print this article and circulate, you may contact the Darul Ifta for an original copy with the Arabic. Every person that praises Allah, you will have a share in the reward, Insha Allah.